Flo Carson

Flo Carson - Social Anthropologist, studying International Development at Sciences Po, Paris. I am slightly obsessed by gender, politics, media, human rights and global health. I've worked in Asia, Africa and Europe and keen to explore more of the world we live in. Take a look at my Twitter & Tumblr for my most recent posts. tly

Thursday 9 August 2012

Musee du Quai Branly

As an "anthropologist", the Musee du Quai Branly has always resounded in my head as a one stop Parian spot for all things "tribal", "savage" and fascinating. Not only is the Museum curated in such a way that you feel as though you yourself are working through continents, but the range of videos, and sound clips really bring the collections to life. I particularly like how there is no clear separation of cultures in terms of dates in which items are produced, masks made, bowls used; instead this deliberate attempt proves the undeniable sense of continuity which permeates all societies. Despite generations and centuries of war fare, change and supposed development, certain emblems, styles and motifs never fail to disappear. I really like the Andean Carnival costumes which I have uploaded onto this blog, the outfits are fabulous and have a real sense of humour, whilst being utterly traumatising - a mixture of WWF wrestler, Womble and your aunt's wardrobe from the 80's.

The only thing I found a little disappointing was The Seduction of the Palate Exhibition (19 June - 30 Sept) which seemed to me to be a collection of loads and loads of Chinese bowls, I didn't think there was much imagination in the exhibition, apart from a short arty video of conveyor belts of food twinkling past which kept me entertained/hungry.

Turns out the Quai Branly is also free for 18-25 year olds which is an extra added bonus, and it is also free for one and all on the first Sunday of the month - although be prepared to queue, and have a more rushed experience of the whole place.

Musee de Quai Branly - 37 Quai Branly 75007

No comments:

Post a Comment