Flo Carson

Flo Carson - Social Anthropologist, studying International Development at Sciences Po, Paris. I am slightly obsessed by gender, politics, media, human rights and global health. I've worked in Asia, Africa and Europe and keen to explore more of the world we live in. Take a look at my Twitter & Tumblr for my most recent posts. tly

Thursday 8 January 2015

The attack on Charlie Hebdo is an attack on us all. On est Charlie.






It's not often I'm lost for words, but this attack took them right out of my mouth.
I'm exasperated for society. Above are some pictures I've taken from walking around  République (Paris) over the last 24 hours.


Whilst, we have to admit that attacks of this magnitude and on even larger scales are happening practically every day internationally, something is startling here. No terror attack can ever be justified.

Simply put, this was an attack on a magazine and a group of talented cartoonists and satirical journalists. How is this a fair fight? How could they ever be considered 'the enemy'?

But now we have to ask - how can we solve this? How can we use this to galvanise a collective spirit, one which crosses international, religious, and cultural barriers? We need to remember we are a singular humanity, somehow fortunate enough to have been born onto this pretty decent planet.

We must unlearn hate.

The sights at République generated a degree of hope and faith within me. I saw people walking away from the scene with tears coming down their faces, silently brushing them off their cheeks. Whilst I spoke to others who had spent the afternoon at work printing off Je Suis Charlie flyers and stickers to hand out on the square. Meanwhile, people had clambered up onto the grand statue in the centre of the square, placing posters, writing words, lighting candles, but most importantly placing pens and biros into the hands of the smaller statues.

The pen shall always be mightier than the sword. 

No comments:

Post a Comment