Flo Carson

Flo Carson - Social Anthropologist, studying International Development at Sciences Po, Paris. I am slightly obsessed by gender, politics, media, human rights and global health. I've worked in Asia, Africa and Europe and keen to explore more of the world we live in. Take a look at my Twitter & Tumblr for my most recent posts. tly

Tuesday 13 April 2010

idol?



Went to the Tate Modern a few months ago and watched a fabulous discussion with Tracey Emin, where she chatted about The Shop, which she owned with Sarah Lucas back in the 1990's, when I was a mere child in a Mickey Mouse onesie. Emin stumbled in slightly late for the talk, drunk from the GQ Christmas Party but made up for it 100% with her emotionally charged humour and her modern day take on feminism. She preached of how in the glory days of the YBAs she would be walking down Brick Lane at 6 in the morning and come across rolls upon rolls of carpet and unwanted objects which fueled her artistic imagination. On leaving the discussion I had to consciously stop myself from roaming the dark streets of London in search for a random duvet left on the floor that I could transform into a statue. Luckily, sanity reminded me that Brick Lane is now more a home to over priced 'vintage', not random household goods; so instead of searching the streets I went to bed instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment